Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Hannah Montana's Cousin?

So I've noticed that my last two posts were pretty much depressing. I want to take this opportunity to announce that things are looking very up. Like I've said before, I can't go into details but lets just say that I'm in the best school and with the best group of teachers. I'm happy to be there and they're happy to have me. What could make for a better working environment? I'm in first grade now instead of Head Start and the kids personalities are so much more developed and fun.

One little girl has really caught my eye. Her name is Emily and I worked with her one on one for a while the very first morning I was there. The teacher had me helping here take a reading test and she decided very early on that she was going to take advantage of my help and pretend that she didn't know anything. I didn't fall for it and made her read the questions and answer choices and only helped when she was truly struggling. After she read several questions correctly you could tell her confidence was soaring and she looked up at me with the sweetest snaggle toothed grin and said in this little Hispanic accent, "I can be da teachewr now!" I melted right there.

Today the kids lined up to go to the car riders line and I heard giggles from the middle of the line and looked to see Emily in a group of kids. One announced that Emily had said that she was Hannah Montana's cousin. Emily, smiling brightly, kept saying "I pwomise she is!" Miguel, who I had never heard speak said boldly from the front of the line, "Well I guess that Spider Man must be my cousin then."

They're great! More fun stories to come!

0 comments: