Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Fresh Air

What a breath of fresh air today has been! I'll begin by saying that yesterday pretty much sucked. It all began when I over slept and didn't have time to wash my hair before work. I quickly showered off and went to put on my makeup and my eyeliner would not twist up and was broken. Ok people, if I'm starting my day with no eye liner, its going to be rough. I rushed to work where I just went through the motions of my long morning with only 1 short break as we were short handed with two teachers out. I quickly moved on to work EE where one child threw a fit and another refused to eat making it difficult for me to offer the appropriate praise to the children acting normal. It was all pretty much a daze. The kids got on their mats and I decided that I would try to leave for the day when my co-teacher came in. I did so only to return home to a filthy kitchen that it was my duty to clean for the evenings impending room checks. I loudly slammed dishes around in the sink as the mess makers lounged in pj's on the couch. I got a 20 minute power nap before leaving early for my babysitting job and driving around town for a little while venting to my mom. Shortly after arriving to babysit as I shared a snack with Conner I received a test message from my boss informing me that in the madness of the lunch rush the assistant director of the preschools granddaughter's left over watermelon container was placed in her backpack instead of her lunch box and made a huge mess all over her stuff and mom was not happy. After texting back a quick I'm so sorry I scooped Conner up, took him to the front porch and sat in the crisp afternoon breeze. It is amazing how well babies feel our emotions. He sat quietly with his head leaned against my chest as if to say "You're perfect in my eyes." My eyes filled with tears as I contemplated my awful day and held him close. I forgot to mention that all day my finances were in the back of my head as pay day was 4 days away and I had less than $10 in the bank. My parents are always more than willing to help out but my stubborn pride and guilt from the weekends shopping usually prevents me from asking. I normally wouldn't have been paid for keeping Conner until after I kept him on Thursday which wasn't going to help me much. I contemplated asking for an advance but absolutely hate to do that. As Linsey came in she informed me that she didn't need me on Thursday but was going to go ahead and pay me for that day as well as both days next week. After a quick dinner I came to the library where I finished my unit lesson plans with ease, went to Walgreens where I got some new eyeliner, and then headed home where I cuddled in my bed and rested peacefully through the night.
Today was a great fresh start! I woke up on time, had a great hair day, and best of all new eyeliner. Classes were fun with friends. I completed another assignment this afternoon and am well on my way into another now. Work was extremely fun as we painted a pumpkin to display in the ETBU pumpkin display. It turned out precious. Pictures to come later. I took Henry home from school and chatted with Marcy while she fixed some pasta that she lovingly packed in a to-go box for me with corn, grapes and a brownie. I'm thinking about taking a bath later and going to bed early to finish the Sex and the City season I'm working on.
I've realized that it takes a day like yesterday for me to appreciate the wonderful days like today. As this new fall season begins, I pray that I can appreciate each day because like I've said before, I truly do have so much to be thankful for.

0 comments: