Monday, November 3, 2008

Torn Jeans and Broken Hearts

Following a busy week, I started the weekend off with 2 babysitting jobs on the calendar. Saturday I got up, ran errands, and then went to spend what I thought would be a relaxing afternoon keeping Marley. She was napping when I got there so I started some laundry and lightly snoozed on the couch until her mumbles woke me and I went to get her up. I picked out an outfit and bow, changed her and strapped her in her seat for a yummy afternoon snack. Now you must know that Sara had warned me that Marley had thrown up that morning but seemed to be fine. As she snacked on her gold fish I stepped into the laundry room to switch clothes out while keeping an eye on her. I walked back to the kitchen just in time for her to puke with great force all over herself and the kitchen. It was awful to look at the nasty mess I had to clean up but more awful to look into her big sweet eyes as she silently pleaded for help. I picked her up (resisting a hug and kiss) and rushed her to the bathroom. A bath cheers everybody up. After her bath she patiently watched tv in the living room as I tackled the clean up. It reminded me of being in elementary school, as either a student or teacher, and hearing the call over the intercom, "Can the custodian please report to room 10?" and everybody cringes as they know what awaits him. I kept waiting for him to show up. He never did. After that clean up and the clean up of the second puke attack, I rocked Marley until Sara and Annabelle returned. Exhausted, I went and spent the night at Mom and Dad's. Sunday afternoon, following a great morning at church, some play time with the Truelove kids and a short nap in my bed, I began getting ready for night church. As I threw on my favorite best jeans, my toe got caught in a small hole that had worn around the bottom and created a large tear right up the inseam. I was angry. I found something else to wear and left for church but with a bad attitude. I now needed to add a trip to Longview to the weeks list as I relied on that particular pair of jeans for several days wardrobe.
At church James and Stacia Runnels were sharing their families testimony through the illness of their 4th (of 5) daughter Rose. To shorten their story if you aren't familiar with it, Rose was born and appeared to be a perfect. After Stacia began to notice slight abnormalities as Rose grew older but failed to gain weight and thrive, the Dr's checked her out and found a hole in her heart caused by a very rare heart disease. The surgery was successful to repair it but at the time it was unknown that in a few short years Rose would need another operation to repair a lung issue secondary to her heart defect. Rose is now a healthy 5 year old. Their story of faith is truly remarkable. At the end of their story, James compared Roses "broken heart" to the broken hearts of the world. In Roses case a very talented surgeon fixed her heart but Jesus is the ultimate great physician who, with loving grace, is able to fix any broke heart without fail every time. I was quickly burdened for these broken hearts and all of a sudden the torn jeans on the floor back in my room were way down on the list. I did find the opportunity to go to Longview this morning and returned with a great new pair of jeans. Life is good! A great week awaits!

0 comments: