Thursday, October 2, 2008

Pushing Forward

I want to take the time to apologize to my faithful fans (all 4 of you) for totally slacking on the blog this week. The reasons for my lack of posts are many. Last Saturday I woke up to a little sinus drainage. Went about my day no big deal. Sunday was not much better but as always, pushed forward. Monday came and I woke to full blown nastiness. I hurt all over, couldn't breathe, was cranky and tired. I made it to my first two classes and that was all I could take. I came home and got in bed until I decided that it was too close to time to actually be at work to call in so I gathered the strength to again push forward. After wiping the snotty noses of my 5 little darlings plus my own for the duration of the afternoon I decided to fore go Zumba and didn't move from my couch until about 10 when the cold meds kicked in. Lucky for me I didn't have any meetings or engagements on Tuesday which meant no alarm and plenty of peaceful sleep thanks again to the cold meds. I leisurely got up and showered and felt tons better. I knocked out several errands before getting a hair cut and heading to work. After work I drove to Shreveport for Lacy's birthday party at Tokyo, one of those cook in front of you Japanese restaurants. I am in love with Asian food and this was wonderful! We pretty much had the place to ourselves and had a lot of time to visit and catch up. It was a great time. I regret not making time for high school friends more. I'm working on it. Wednesday night I worked on finishing up all of my homework so that tonight I could make time to go to Longview. I was successful and finished everything including writing one of the greatest Social Studies lessons ever. I felt very accomplished. For all my hard work, I rewarded myself tonight (Thurs) with a night out on the town. After a lengthy trip to Target in which I perused the aisles in total bliss and relaxation, I met up with my very first non family member childhood best friend, Cody, who I haven't seen in a good 15 years. We talked for a long time and caught up on things. We've been messaging on Facebook planning to get together so I've been thinking about our friendship all those years ago. Here's the scoop. We went to Trinity together when we were 4 and he was my best friend. We both lived in Elysian Fields and were going to school in Marshall so our moms would take turns driving and picking up and such so we were kind of forced friends I guess. That year came and went and soon I was starting Kindergarten at Elysian Fields. I don't know if my mom prepared me for Cody's absence or not but school started and he was definitely not there. I missed him terribly. One day I was playing in the Green Center (if I remember correctly it was like a bunch of file folder and card games) by myself and missing Cody. All of a sudden I look up and Cody is walking through my classroom door! It was like a dream come true to my little 5 year old soul. I just knew that my wishes had come true! Looking back on it I know that our class was the only one with an opening or that our moms arranged it. Anyway, we were still friends but all the new excitement of Kindergarten brought new friends and we eventually drifted until sometime in first grade Cody moved and that was that. Fast forward about 15 years and I add him on Facebook, we message some, meet tonight, and had a great time. I'm looking forward to the weekend. I'm leaving tomorrow with a great group of gals for a children's ministry conference in Dallas. Should be educational and if nothing else a night away. Have a blessed weekend!

1 comments:

Christina said...

Few things are better than meeting up with an old friend.
It does get easier to keep up with high school friends after college. My girlfriends and I get together for dinner quarterly and we all live far apart. I think as you get older something inside makes you want to reconnect.
Glad you are feeling better.