Friday, September 19, 2008

Igor

(Disclaimer- If you plan to see Igor you may or may not want to read too much into this. Just so you know, I give the end away! Sorry!)

This evening I was honored to accompany Henry and Caroline to see Igor. We watched the trailer online and figured it looked like a safe bet for our movie night outing. We get to the theater after the lights were turned off and shuffle through the trail of late comers many of which attempted to guide 4 kids while carrying 2 large popcorns, and an abundance of candy, pickles and drinks. It didn't take long for me to think that we might should have checked some reviews on ol' Igor a little more closely. The move was dark and the characters were violent and rude. The main character was a little hunchback guy named Igor and he was from a group of people they actually called Igors who were assistants to the evil scientists that ran this evil city. The Igors were treated terribly- talked down to, hit, pushed around, no time off, etc. This continued through out the move and I'll admit I zoned out and played on my Palm for a while before I got to thinking that I really should look for a teachable moment in all of this madness. As the plot started to close in, the moment I longed for came flying at me. Earlier in the movie Igor created a person who he intended to be evil but for whatever reason her "evil bone" didn't work and she turned out to be very kind. The climax of the story was a quote from Igor- "we all have an evil bone but it's up to us if we use it or not." Perfect! Thats what I would talk to the kids about! We did have a short talk in the car but after a little fun at the concert downtown I felt it was all kind of pushed under the rug. We went to the movie, talked about it later, played downtown, the end. We got home and in regular bed time routine opened up the ABC Devotions for Kids book. Tonight was page K- Keep your tounge from evil. Ps 34:13. God works in amazing ways. After reading the story in the book and a lengthy conversation about what it meant the kids eyes lit up and I could see the wheels turning making a spiritual connection to what I thought was a terrible inappropriate move. Thank the Lord for using secular movies to work in the hearts of the babies that I love so dearly!

1 comments:

Christina said...

What a great lesson for both kids and adults. I am so glad God is smarter than us and can use anything good or bad, for his purpose! Thanks for the heads up on the movie.