Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Peaceful Days and Memories

What a relief it is to have a day off after such a stressful and crazy weekend. Friday we watched Ike approach the coast all day and enjoyed the cool breeze he brought at the Mavs game as we wore our rain jackets protecting up from the drizzly showers that came and went all night. After the game Chelsea went out with friends as I went back to our room, pulled the mattress out of my room and into the living room floor. I fell asleep as Ike's surges washed over Galveston. As I woke Saturday morning the trees were already swaying outside and rain greeted me as I ran to the grocery store to pick up a few things for us to survive on as it was evident that our electricity situation was looking grim. Around 2:00 I talked to my mom, who had been without power for going on 3 hrs, and made the comment "I don't know how we still have power." We lost it within the hour. So much for wishful thinking. The worst of the storm was upon Marshall and word spread quickly that things weren't looking so good. During a slight break from the wind Samantha and I decided to risk it all and go across town to Matt's house where the power was still out and the storm was still rough but we would be among friends. We weathered the storm there for the night playing games, talking and enjoying the cool night air. Sunday brought sun shine and Sam and I decided that we had a small window of time to gather our groceries that were still slightly cool and rush them out to my parents generated powered refrigerator. Mom treated us to a left over hamburger and we saw our first glimpses of post Ike Galveston.
As a child it was the highlight of our summers to go to the beach. We rented a beach house on Bolivar Peninsula at Gilchrist. Some days we would be the only ones on the beach. Dad would fish, we would swim and in the afternoons we would ride down the road to the water slide. Usually on one night of our trip we would eat dinner at the Stingaree on the bay. We ate shrimp and key lime pie as the tug boats pushed barges down the Intercoastal Waterway. It was all glorious, no cares in the world.
Sunday morning we watched tv and as the first pictures of our childhood beachfront wonderland flashed across the screen. Lydia and I were speechless as we stared at the tv and our eyes began to fill with tears. It was unbelievable. All gone. We later heard a rescue volunteer report that the community of Gilchrist was "wiped off the map."
As sad as I am I can't help but feel blessed and relieved. That house was just a getaway. We didn't own it and haven't been there in years. Our home is was untouched, we are safe, and the power is all back on. Unlike a house, our memories can't be washed away by a hurricane.
This week is off to a beautiful start. The sun is shining with no storms in sight. I shared a great movie with Kristen last night and have enjoyed a relaxing day off. We are so blessed.

0 comments: