Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Nanny Diaries

I've started two posts in the past two days that I haven't finished. Oh well. Life has been a little crazy.

Us Trinity teachers and kids are on the count down to three more days of school.
We teachers pass each other around the building and there's always a "we're going to make it" or "3 more days!" After we're off on Monday, hopefully Tuesday and Wednesday will go fast.

I know most of you know that I babysit a lot and even though I've referred to myself as their "nanny" on occasion, these last two days I've really felt quite nanny-ish.

Last night Jackson had a double header so Caroline, Henry and I went to the country club to swim for a bit. Even though it was a little chilly we swam for an hour or so (I did a lot of lounging) and then started drying off to go inside the pro shop for some ice cream. As soon as I got Hen's towel out and started drying him off I looked up to see the pro shop guy locking the door. I could have gone into the bar side and gotten some ice cream but since it was Wednesday night dinner and my appearance was quite shabby, we opted to run through Sonic on the way home. I ordered each child a dollar menu candy sundae which to Henry's dismay came with whipped cream and cherry. His melt down resulted in a conversation about being thankful and an explanation about how I can easily remove that part when we get home. After I told him that I would gladly eat his sundae if it was so awful he decided he would let me fix it. We got home, I scraped whipped cream, kids showered, we read Dr. Seuss and they were in bed before Jacksons second game even started. Marcy, the queen of our domain here on Victory Drive, came home so I went to the nanny quarters, finished my book and fell asleep.

This afternoon resulted in some of the same, minus the swimming and ice cream of course. Henry stayed at the preschool with me until the rest of the kids had been picked up and then we walked over to the church where his mom and Jennifer, the queen of our Jefferson palace, were working. Cate, Caroline and Catherine were waiting for me to take them to gymnastics and Walt was playing in the nursery. We grabbed him, and all headed for Gym Fit. When the princess' class started I got Maggie, whose class had just ended, and headed off to Jefferson to drop her and Walt off to their dad. I was running right on time but Maggie was fussy and hungry so we had to go through McDonalds where of course I had to get something too. When we got to their house we ran in and I ate quickly and got back on the road. I boogied back to Marshall arriving at Gym Fit eight minutes late. I walked up to the doors and poor Caroline was sitting in the hall way waiting patiently for me. When I walked up and could see those little pink and white cheer shoes sticking out from around the corner, I knew I had the potential to be in trouble. I apologized in excess and after a few hugs she promised she wasn't mad at me. We came home and met Marcy with the boys before she headed out to the rest of her plans for the evening. We've all had a few cookies and are relaxing together here in the castle for a little while before bed time.

Marcy and Brendan are planning to get away over night this weekend. The kids all have reservations at friends houses so after they are all gone on Saturday morning, I'll be free for the weekend with the exception of little Fergie dog (that's a true royal name isn't it?) She's had a bacterial infection this week that has brought about some "funky poo poo" as Marcy would explain, so I don't know which I would prefer- three busy kids or a pooping chihuahua. Oh well. Such is life here at the kingdom.

0 comments: